Saturday, October 01, 2005

Reaction crtical


Right. I am back. This time I am online in my crap-of-a-hotel room. I have given this hotel a -4 star after they have revoked my cooperate rights to free Internet access. I am actually paying for this connection.

In case you are wondering, what does the picture have to do anything? well, nothing really. I wanted to put the caption "Ah beng's ultra fast stickers gave him uncontrolable speed". No ah beng was hurt in this incident, Thank God.

Why am i sitting my ass down in my room on a Saturday in Singapore? Why am I not out shopping? Cos i am too broke to get my ass out (i am just kiamsiap la ok) and I am suffering from multiple body aches after the acrobatic stunt i pulled off at work. So i've decided to just relax, go online and voyeur into people's friendster. Now that I am all alone in a private room, i shall strip bare and.... *ouch* just kidding. Sorry for the bad bad mental picture..

My camera won't link up with this ancient notebook. I went down to get a CF card reader but the shop is not open yet. I'll be getting it later. Hopefully i'll add some pictures to this all text blog.

Which reminds me. How to react to a compliment.

You look good.
Actual verbal reaction: "No lah, I am fat-lah"
Mental reaction: "Why thank you, i've been working out. thanks for noticing"
Wishful reaction: "Yea, feel my arms, feel my arms, I'll flex for you"
Correct reaction: Acknowledge the compliment, and return a sincere compliment. eg: "why thank you, you look great yourself too!"

Many times i've reacted, "No-lah I am fat" which I have noticed to be such a turn off, when in actual fact, my gym person has give me a green light on my body mass index. It's probably an Asian mentality. Let's face it. Asians do not react well to compliments or praise. We deny it with our words, but deep down it feels good. Are we on the same frequency here? If I were to tell a Asian girl, (sorry to generalize) "hey, you look great! I like what you did to your hair" her reaction would probably be "he-he (blushes) No lah, it's just the shampoo I used" but in actual fact, she has just spent a few hundred bucks on rebonding and straitening. Next comes the mental reaction. If the guy is good looking, girl would probably think"oh gosh, he likes me".

But how sincere is a compliment? I know for a fact that we (Asians) do not compliment or acknowledge people's effort as much as others. A good work done for example, should be acknowledge, simple words like "Well done" or "Good job" is simply uplifting. It tells the person that his efforts are recognized, and It should motivate the person to work better or at least, prevent him/her from slacking off.

Getting appreciating "speeches" from your superior is a good thing. Fishing for one is a different thing all together. *frown* Reacting to a compliment is critical. You have only .5 of a second to react and if it's the boss you're talking to, it better be a correct reaction.

Check out this instance...

Boss: (in the lines of ) you're a fast learner, usually people are not capable of doing this is such a short time
Kuli: (finding hard to not smile) Oh, really? It's not too hard, I've done this before prior to this.
Boss: Well, keep up the good work, I really appreciate you doing this
Kuli: No problem.

Now, let's analyse that crap-of-a- reaction to a compliment. What Kuli should have said was " Yes Sir, I put in extra effort to learn and get the job done right, I really appreciate you noticing my efforts, now give me more pay" the pay bit was a joke, mind you.

See? sounds all to familiar? Please don't let it happen again. Now that you've reading this. Being overly shy over compliments will shy you off your well deserved pay increment. (RIGHT)


The best compliment you can ever get and probably react genuinely to it would be compliments from your loved ones, family etc.

I can only imagine how mom would feel if we were to tell her " mom, nice la your curry. It's the best in the world!" or "Dad, I love you. you're the best!" hmn, ponder ponder. yes, I must say. this would be the best form of compliment on earth. I am going to make this sound like a government family bonding campaign. Remember to thank your loved ones, and appreciate them. Now go on, pick up that phone and dial 1-800-PARENTS to tell them how much they mean to you. Now I am feeling blue, I am calm, yet blue. I shall call my parents in a bit..



"well done my good and faithful servant" would be the ultimate reward/compliment I would wanna hear. when and how, I do not know. right now, i am more worried with how am i going to achieve that. How-ar? comment me some tips please.

Now, my reaction to that will be ..... I don't know for sure, but I won't say anything silly to Him. Would you??? . there. thought so.

Man, this is a depressing entry.

Oh by the way. i am a proud owner of an all in one card reader. Now i can upload my pictures.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talking about shampoo, have u seen this pantene advert where this chick says "saya tidak rasa gatal lagi". Poor thing! No more itches! And watch it, chum! Expressions like "It's not hard!!!" may send the wrong messages. Heard this joke? How do you know a guy at a nudist beach is gay? ANSWER: It's not hard!

Mon Dec 19, 10:18:00 AM 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Runs in the family! U're not the only one who romps around naked in hotel rooms. Watch out though! You may end up going back to work with a bad flu!!! Moral of the story: turn down the air-conditioning

Mon Dec 19, 10:21:00 AM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home