Sunday, October 02, 2005

Bloggy weekend



When bored, one gets restless. When bored, I surf friendster and blog (new found hobby). I slept most of the weekend, recuperating, as I may call it. Other than that, I met up a friend who kindly bought me dinner and I did some shopping. Bought something that will keep me company for a few days or so.

Today is Sunday, I didn't go to church. Don't know where is the nearest church here is, and I woke up at 11.30am. Went to my favorite supermarket in the whole of Singapore, Mustafa Centre. It's like being in India I tell you. Not to mention, It is located in Little India. What's so little about it? It's huge and there's lots of (d'uh) Indians and Africans. I feel so out of place here. I just take my meals, buy what I have to (this round was sinful mars bars and 1 litre of juice) and just retreat to my room. Ewww.


I look anything but chinese, and people speak to me in anything but english. At lunch I approached my regular Thai stall in a food court in Orchard's. Sawadee Kha, greeted the nice lady. I replied back, naturally, Sawadee Khap. Then comes the tricky part. She continued in Thai, which i think she's trying to get me to try the basil chicken, because I know "kai" in Thai means chicken. I just nodded and said "Basil Chicken please" Then comes the actual purchasing moment. Lady goes "4.00" in Thai. Ok, I was left in a daze. I was like. "er, huh??, Sorry. mai dai phut Thai, kap" which she quickly replied (in thai) If you don't speak Thai, why are you speaking it now?, and laughed. I pointed at myself and said. Me, from Malaysia, gave her 10 dollars and politely thanked her in Thai.

This has happened a few times, Once in a Burmese shop and another in a Vietnamese restaurant. Not to mention, i was warned that the omelette had pork prior to eating it and the nice Indonesian chef at the galley panicked as i picked up a piece of pork chop.

Being multi lingual is useful. Spoke my broken mandarin today to get food. I speak mandarin and Cantonese just to order food/get something done, and sound cute in front of Chinese chicks. I think chicks dig people who try learning local languages. Won't you love it if an Ang Moh spoke Malay to you?, Ok, I know... that was a turn off. But hey, try broken Thai in Thailand. It's bound to get attention.

That's it. nuff blogs for the weekend. 3 entries. that's a new record.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home